Vision and Mission
Cette page web est aussi disponible en français
Our vision-mission for Greenwood Centre starts with Phoebe Nobbs Hyde.
Phoebe Nobbs Hyde bequeathed Greenwood to the Canadian Heritage of Quebec when she died in 1994. The Greenwood Centre for Living History was created in 1996. In accordance with her instructions, the Centre was given the following mandate...
"To preserve, maintain and develop Greenwood (residence and property) and to make it accessible to the public at large ....."
Today, this mandate remains the foundation of our vision and mission statement. The Greenwood Centre for Living History treasures the past and embraces the future.
The Greenwood Centre for Living History, a non-profit, volunteer-based organization, continues to be widely cherished for its role in preserving, capturing, and reflecting the history of Greenwood, the Hudson area, the region, and indeed, the country.
This role is well expressed through the lives, interests, personalities, dreams and accomplishments of Phoebe Nobbs Hyde and the generations of her family who built and made Greenwood their home. Our layered history is reflected in the architecture of Greenwood and told through a richness of historical documents, paintings and artifacts.
The most important testament to Greenwood as a valued centre for living history lies in the vibrant relationships we live and enjoy with our community partners. They play a vital role in bringing the many stories that Greenwood has to tell to our schools, our community, and the public at large.
Specific Elements of Our Vision
- The Greenwood Centre for Living History is widely recognized in the community for its role in preserving, capturing and reflecting the history of Greenwood, of Hudson, and the region in ways that identify with individuals and groups whose lives and contributions have been centered in the region.
- The Greenwood Centre for Living History presents itself to, and interacts with its various publics in ways that honour the distinctive nature and perspective of Phoebe Nobbs Hyde, Greenwood's principal benefactor.
- The Greenwood Centre for Living History is recognized as a model for bringing history alive in interesting, innovative and engaging ways to reach a variety of different audiences.
- The Greenwood Centre for Living History works through a core of valued volunteers and in partnership with vital and varied community groups to bring its stories to a diverse range of people.
- The Greenwood Centre for Living History shows by example how to foster broad-based community engagement.
- The Greenwood Centre for Living History is acknowledged, supported, and funded within and outside the community by a broad and diverse base of partners.
Recognizing the valued place of Greenwood in the historical and cultural life of Hudson, and the region in which it resides, we see our mission as being:
- To preserve, maintain, and develop the Greenwood Centre for Living History, for future generations of Canadians.
- To preserve and protect its buildings, grounds and historic contents.
- To ensure sound governance and responsible management by the Centre's Executive Director, The Associate Director and its Board of Directors, in collaboration with the Canadian Heritage of Quebec.
- To develop and communicate the many stories that Greenwood has to tell.
- To recognize and respect the realities and possibilities of the Greenwood site as a venue for expressing the stories Greenwood has to tell.
- To reflect the varied interests, contributions, energy, and outward-looking style of Phoebe Nobbs Hyde, and the families that were central to Greenwood's rich history.
- To tell the story of the economic and cultural history of Greenwood, the Hudson area, and the region through the lives and events to which Greenwood is the living testimonial.
- To acknowledge and nurture the vital partnership relationships between the Greenwood Centre for Living History and individuals, community-based organizations and private-sector institutions.
- To provide active support in bringing the stories that Greenwood has to tell to different publics in a variety of unique and exciting ways.
- To provide valued program, financial, and moral support in recognition of the Centre's contribution to the community, and the partners' stake in ensuring that this exceptional resource continues to thrive.
Return to Greenwood home page