Le Centre Greenwood n'est pas un musée typique. Cette maison patrimoniale et son jardin enchanteur vous plongera dans le temps alors que vous traverserez les 5 générations d'une même famille qui ont vécu dans la maison Greenwood.
Greenwood Centre for Living History is not your typical museum. This dynamic historical property will capture your imagination as you learn about the five generations of one family who called this place "home."
Greenwood was bequeathed to the Canadian Heritage of Quebec
, a non-profit organization dedicated to the preservation of lands and buildings of beauty or historic interest, by Phoebe Nobbs Hyde
, the last of 5 generations to live there.
It was her wish that the historical character of the building be maintained and the property be shared with the people of Hudson and the surrounding communities.
Phoebe's generous gift led to the establishment of the Greenwood Centre for Living History at 254 Main Road in Hudson, Quebec.
A Board of Directors, who administers the Centre, is composed of the Executive Director (as an ex-officio member), one representative of the Canadian Heritage of Quebec, one direct descendent of the Delesderniers-Shepherd family, one representative of the Hudson Historical Society, and seven other interested members.
The Board, along with a large group of dedicated enthusiastic volunteers, strives to fulfill Phoebe's vision of sharing her beloved home and its history with the public at large. Throughout the year, the Centre organizes entertaining and educational activities for the community.
These offerings are geared for people of all ages. The range is both extensive and imaginative... from scheduled guided tours of the historical house and garden, to workshops, to antique appraisals at Treasures in the Attic, to the celebration of good cheer and memories at the "Old-Fashioned Christmas," to the Greenwood Singers' choral concerts, to the presentations of well known historians, authors, poets and storytellers through the Storyfest, to fun little surprises and events in between.
The Greenwood Centre for Living History is very much a community-based organization. Its growing strength over the past decade is due to the generous contributions of time, assistance, creativity, and money by its loyal members and supporters in the local area, and beyond. Their enthusiasm fuel the already compelling spirit of this historical property.
New friends, like you, are always welcome.
HORAIRE -- OPENING HOURS
Nos heures d'ouverture sont -- our Opening Hours are
De juin à août -- June through August
Du mercredi au samedi -- Wednesday through Saturday
De 10h à 15h -- From 10:00am to 3:00pm
N'oubliez pas de jeter un coup d'oeil sur notre page "Activités" pour y voir nos prochaines activités!!
And don't forget to check out our activities page for our up coming special events.
- Greenwood Blog
- Greenwood Blog lets you know what's happening at the Greenwood Centre for Living History in Hudson.
- Greenwood News
- Check out Greenwood news. There is always something interesting going on!
- Greenwood Activities
- Greenwood activities offer something for everyone. Open to all!
- Greenwood's Newsletter
- Greenwood's Newsletter
- Greenwood Hudson
- Greenwood Hudson is a destination spot not to be missed!
- StoryFest Hudson
- StoryFest is a celebration of writers, readers and storytellers everywhere.
- Treasures in the Attic
- Treasures in the Attic (a fundraiser for Greenwood) is an opportunity for you to get professional antique appraisals.
- Tours & Tea
- Tours & Tea
- Contact Greenwood
- Contact Greenwood Centre for answers to your questions and to share your feedback.
- Greenwood Membership
- Greenwood membership is growing. Support our community's living history. Become a member!
- Greenwood History
- Greenwood history is communicated through its property and artifacts.
- Vision and Mission
- Our vision is to preserve, capture, and reflect the history of Greenwood, the Hudson area, the region, and indeed, the country.
- The Collections
- Look at Greenwood's Special Exhibits
- Your Stories About Greenwood
- Your stories about Greenwood are welcome!
- Executive Director of Greenwood Audrey Wall
- Executive Director Audrey Wall joins the Greenwood community.
- Greenwood President Updates
- Greenwood President of the Board summarizes Greenwood's activities.
- Community Partnerships
- Greenwood values the support of various community partnerships.
- Mary Cecilia Delesderniers
- Mary Cecilia Delesderniers was the only child of Frank and Amelia Delesderniers and was born on February 5, 1826 at Greenwood.
- Robert Ward Shepherd
- Robert Ward Shepherd (Captain) was born on December 15, 1819 at Sherringham, Norfolk where his father had a small farm.
- Dr. Frank Shepherd
- Dr. Frank Shepherd, Phoebe's grandfather, is described in this short Greenwood bio.
- Mary Cecilia Shepherd
- Mary Cecilia Shepherd (Cecil) was born to Dr. Frank Shepherd and his wife Lilias Torrance in 1881.
- Percy Nobbs
- Percy Nobbs, Greenwood's well-respected architect, is a man of many talents.
- Phoebe Nobbs Hyde
- Phoebe Nobbs Hyde, the 5th generation of the Shepherd family to live in Greenwood, was a multi-talented, forward-looking woman.
- St. Mary's Church
- St. Mary's Church was built in 1867, at the initiative of Phoebe's great-grandfather, Captain R.W Shepherd.
- Resource Links
- Resource links to deepen your love of history